Sunday, September 30, 2007

Apple is not amused...

Just read this article from the NYTimes describing how Apple's latest update for the iPhone has disabled those that have been unlocked to work on other networks, and those who have "unauthorized" software loaded - thus rendering them "iBricks". Read it here.

I've been pining for an iPhone, but opted for an htc Mogul instead (Sprint gave me a great deal after I suggested I might cancel my account). The Mogul is nowhere near as engaging a machine as the iPhone, but at least I can load any damn software on it I please. While I can see trying to enforce the exclusive AT&T relationship (kind of, I actually think it sucks) I absolutely can't see trying to maintain control over what software can and can't be loaded. To me, it's an ugly continuation in the trend towards seeing technology and media purchases as things consumers don't actually own - but use with the permission (and under the limitations of) the companies who produce them.

No comments: