Monday, October 8, 2007

gPhone platform

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/08/business/media/08googlephone.html

According to this piece on NYTimes.com Google's "gPhone" is not targeting the iPhone, its targeting Windows Mobile OS. Google is working on a "mobile computing platform" that will bring the Google experience to a smartphone near you.

I've been using my new HTC Mogul for about two weeks now. I find I'm using the browser and email clients a LOT - the large landscape display and generous keyboard make it an almost pleasant experience ;-) I do kind of hate having to synch the calendar and to do lists though. I love the freedom I get with gmail and google calendar to hop on any machine I happen to be at and just have at my data. With the Mogul I decided to bring my personal productivity system (yes, I'm a GTD wannabe) back into Outlook and I've already experienced instances of not remembering what tasks/docs I've updated on the phone vs my laptop. And of course we have a couple of other computers in the house that I could theoretically be tapping away at when I suddenly want to check my todo list.

So while I like the smartphone, it definitely feels like yesterday's news. What I'd really really REALLY like is to have access to a phone-based browser on my Mogul that is as robust as Safari is on the iPhone, coupled with a phone-based version of Google Gears. That would let me update my stuff only once but still let me have my data even when I don't have a clear signal (aka pulling into Grand Central Station on the train ;-)

No comments: